Moving forward is a pain, isn’t it? Each step you make, all the energy sources start to deplete. Even if we do not move forward, we can still feel depleted. Tired, hopeless, and having the feeling to end it all. ‘How much sorrow can I take?’ may be a thought which ponders in your mind on a daily and hourly basis. Life itself is a burden, isn’t it?
Even though this issue may appear trivial to some people, we all do receive great comfort from inspirational quotes regarding depression during dark times. To find out that other people who have experienced this darkness and have seen the bright light ahead are something we all need to be assured of when we feel alone.
In fact, the World Health Organization seems to approximate that around 121 million people on a global basis have depression. We all are part of that crowded yet lonely figure. Maybe you might be as well or maybe you might even someone who is dear to you and is affected by depression.
21 Quotes About Depression
Apart from feeling sorrowful, hopelessness and numbness, a majority of the people are affected by depression which fuels from loneliness and isolation. We hope that the following quotes below can help those victims who feel misunderstood and isolated hence find the right words to talk about their experience with other people.
- “Depression is the inability to construct a future.” Rollo May
- “It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch. I was overwhelmed by something I did not understand – my own brain.” Matt Haig
Quotes to motivate you
These depression quotes are amazing for initiating action even during the stages of emotional and mental suffering. If one of the quotes below tends to ‘click’ with you, then do write it on a small piece of paper wherein you can view it during those dark times which occur every now and then.
- “What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?” Robert Schuller
- “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” St. Francis of Assis
- “Do just once what others say you can’t do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.” James R. Cook
- “It has been my philosophy of life that difficulties vanish when faced boldly.” Isaac Asimov
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Wayne Gretzky
- “Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” Thomas Edison
- “Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” George S. Patton
- “Minds are like parachutes, they function only when open.” unknown author
- “Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget about everything except what you’re going to do now – and do it.” William Durant
- “The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can change his life by changing his attitude of mind.” William James
- “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” Will Rogers
- “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” Lance Armstrong
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther King Jr.
- “When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one that has opened for us.” Alexander Graham Bell
- “I walk slowly, but I never walk backwards.” Abraham Lincoln
Going through depression if often felt like an extreme eternal burden. However, you are not alone when it comes to depression. There are millions of people in the world who are victims of depression and its many kinds every year thus making it one of the global epidemics and common disorders as well.
Obtaining a much in-depth knowledge on this issue is a starting point towards the road to recovery. It is recommended to take time and learn different causes and symptoms regarding depression which will definitely support you, especially during those times to consider treatment options.
In fact, depression speaks on another level than feeling sad. Surely everyone in this world will feel unmotivated and upset at some point in their lives, however, depression is quite serious. Definitely, it is an extreme mood disorder case which elevates due to long periods of interest loss in day-to-day activities and sadness. If you happen to have this kind of symptoms which last up to two weeks, then it is labelled as a depressive episode.
Even so, one method which seems to be effective is Yoga wherein it’s a type of exercise which does not need any sort of equipment since many of the poses and moves do not need much effort to do. Furthermore, meditation is a much effective method to calming the body and clearing the mind. It is easy to perform since there are a plethora of guided meditations found available via books, phone apps and in text and videos found online.
If you like to express your words through journals or any such mediums, then you can find it quite relieving to put your thoughts on paper instead of keeping everything inside your head. Moreover, it is extremely essential to have friends and family in whom you can trust however they may be not available all the time since they have their own worries. Thus, keeping a journal can be comforting since it is another way to express and vent out that sadness and emotional irritability.
Going to a therapy session conducted by a certified therapist or to a guidance counsellor can lead to heights never imagined. Even so, situational depression can be comforted by removing all the thoughts from your mind and obtain practical advice.
For those who are interested in a more ‘hands-on’ approach, you can try out experts such as psychologists or psychiatrists. These experts do provide multiple therapy types i.e. from basic therapy (for Seasonal Affective Disorder) to cognitive behavioural therapy which operated to change thought processes.
Importantly, there is absolutely no shame in taking up medication in order to solve depression. People are more likely to take medication for mental illnesses and physical ailments. If you happen to be worried about the side effects, then you can always consult the doctor in order to discuss these issues.
Finally, you should know that recovery is a journey and not about the destination. There are days where you might want to end it all but with but with guided comfort from loved ones, good exercise techniques and lifestyle choices along with treatments which are well-targeted, you can definitely survive extreme lows. As science still continues its journey on finding an ailment for mental disorders, (such as depression), it is always possible to live a fulfilling and happy life.