Depression is a nasty monster of our mind. In this world we have to face many monsters like the unexpected and harsh realities of our day to day to day activity, the failure, the struggle, the up and down of our personal and professional life, the constant work pressure, excessive target fulfilling goal, uncompromised demands, and then we have to face our inner demons too! Inner demons like depression; which is fed by the sorrow, grief, unhappiness, sadness, never ending worries and all those bitter moments of our mind and life.
Depression is the most gruesome feeling one can experience. It is like a lunar eclipse inside our mind which is seems to keep on lasting for a never ending time period. Like the darkness of a new moon period, everything seems like hollow, a deep black hole inside the mind, where no sound can reach and all your feeling gets lost in deep ocean of grief. Depression is the inner demon of a person’s soul which kills the person every day, every moment, every second. Depression is a dark period of anyone’s life which one can’t get rid of easily but if one tries hard, one can not only get rid of it but can kill it too.
Sign and Symptoms of Depression
- Overwhelming feelings of anxiety
- Irregular sleep or insomnia
- Having difficulty doing normal daily activities
- Difficulty in concentration
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loosing appetite
- Crying for no apparent reason, unable to control your emotion
- Feeling of worthlessness and guilty
- Unable to talk
- Unable to express your feelings
- Difficulty to focus any work
- Never ending worry
- Physical symptoms such as stomachaches or headaches
- Blurred vision
- Suicidal tendencies
The depression can get acute and severe and to fight it off one may be need to get into medication. Some antidepressants are considered to be fruitful to erase depression but these antidepressants have several side effects, and sometimes these antidepressants do not work at all or they relapse after some period. The St. John’s Wort is considered one of the effective over the counter helping agent to fight depression. Some people use natural therapies like yoga and meditation. Yoga helps to calm your mind and relax your body. The stretches help you to release the tension from your body. Apart from this, food enriched with vitamin C, vitamin B 12, zinc, magnesium, Folate and omega 3 –fatty acid specially fish oil, are considered to be the most effective method to cut down depression.
Talk therapy is considered as one of the best methods to curb down depression. Those who suffer from severe and major depression are advised to take help from psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.
32 Subtle Signs that Depression is Getting Better
The treatment can take some time to get completely cure from depression. It is difficult to know whether the treatment is working for you or are you recovering from it. So below are 31 subtle signs that will help you know if you’re you are coming out of it:
- In the proceeding of your medication you did not turn up as happy person and it will take time to regain the liveliness of your persona. Irritability is one of the main emotions of depression and once you start recovering you will get less irritated at others or in any matter.
- Another sign of depression is drop of patience, when the treatment will work for you, your level of patience will increase.
- You will develop more interest in physical activity. Depression can suck up your soul, you get less interested in physical activities, and the recovering sign is regaining your interest in those activities again.
- Along with more interest, you will feel more energetic; this increase in energy will help lift up your mood.
- When you suffer from depression, every tiny problem seems very difficult, your day to day activity get a haphazard, you feel burdened with all your problems. AS you recover, this feeling will slowly start to evaporate out of your mind, more precisely when you will feel less overwhelmed about the problems you will know you are coming out of depression.
- You will start talking to your closed one. In depression, everyone gets inside their own shell, digs their own cave, and often considered themselves to be living in their own graveyard. They stop talking and communicating. Once you will feel better, you will start communicating with others again.
- The feeling of anxiety will come out of your mind and you will stop feeling anxious often.
- In the process of recovery, your appetite will increase. In depression, people sometimes suffer from eating disorders; their appetite completely takes a backseat. In your recovery process you will feel better with food. You will start enjoying your meal.
- Your sleep will get better. In depression the most common symptom is insomnia. People need to take sleeping pills for this. But in your recovering process you will get normal sound sleep without any dosage.
- Your concentration power will increase slowly. With improved concentration it will be easier for you to get your work done on time; you can control your mind on certain things.
- With more concentration you will get more focused towards your life. As depression leads you to lessening of focus on your life. You can stable your mind on the things you want.
- Physical symptoms like constant headaches and stomachaches will stop.
- Your vision will get better. In depression one can often hallucinate and the antidepressants add fuel to the fire of this tendency. Once you start recovering, you can see thing clearly without any blurred vision.
- You will be able to share your thought with your closed ones. Depression is a disorder of mind, in this situation it can block your mind from expressing yourself. One of the best signs of recovering is that you can express your feelings.
- The never ending worry or the tremendous pressure on your mind will stop and you will feel more relaxed and more calm.
- Depression can make you will feel suicidal.. When you start to feel better, you will want to live and the suicidal thoughts will erase themselves from your mind.
- You can feel physical pleasure and pain, both. Depression can make you traumatized causing you to not being able to feel pain or pleasure. The regaining of such feelings is a sign of recovery.
- You might stop over thinking; you will stop taking things for granted.
- The fatigue or nausea will be gone from your body. You will feel much better and healthy.
- You will start to enjoy your life. You will know the true value of life.
- You will feel more cheerful, you will notice the smile is back on your lips and you will be able to share a laugh with others.
- The sun will feel more bright and warm than before, and not feel harsh on your skin.
- You will enjoy being surrounded by nature, the chirps of birds, the sounds of wind, the sound of falling dry leaves.
- The fear of being alone or loneliness will evaporate from your mind.
- You will rebuild you social relationship, you will start socializing with others, you will start attending parties, or enjoying dinners with your friends.
- Your interest in adventures and travel will get increase. You will feel more inclined to travel, to go out, to let yourself free.
- Increasing interest in art or colours is another sign of recovery, the warm colours will soothe your mind, and it will help you feel more relaxed.
- One day you will feel you are not the same anymore, you have changed or you have become the newer version of older you. You will recognize your true potential.
- You will stop crying for no apparent reason. You will feel much stronger than before both emotionally and physically.
- You will not get afraid of the dark. It will feel just like a fog as the darkness has been lifted up from inside your mind.
- You will feel more gratitude towards life. You will feel you are worthy of all of this.
- Last but not that least you will find joy in little things. The definition of sadness will get shortened from your mind. You will know you are not alone in this world, you have the support of your loved ones and you are being loved.
Depression is just a feeling and anyone can be suffering from it anytime; there is no specific age factor prone to it. But it is not a stigma. In our society, there is still a taboo on depression. People don’t want to label themselves as being depressed. But you don’t need to hide it. There is no shame in talking about this. People need to open up. Share your own fighting story with others and always remember that you are a fighter, a warrior and in the battle of life you will face lots of wars but don’t lose your hope, you are a winner and you can own anything. Be happy. Letthe smile stay on your lips forever and shine like the brightest star in the supernova. Happy living!